Most Popular in:
Engaging the New Beauty Consumer
By: Roshini Greenwald (group leader), Jacquelyne Smerklo (co-leader), Gayathri Balasundar, Kimberly Lam, Deanna Spence and Brenna Stone
Posted: June 4, 2014
- PDF of "Engaging the New Beauty Consumer" (PDF 3.12 MB)
page 5 of 5
Brands have the opportunity to leverage existing products by evolving the strategy to focus on cultural values, shared interests, or common aspirations to engage the new beauty consumer in a meaningful and lasting way.
The beauty industry, looking to engage the evolving beauty consumer, must acknowledge that “others” are the ones who will drive society forward and in the end, “others” will make or break the bottom line.
The reality is fast approaching when a new shade will, in fact, be born every day, and the beauty industry is at a critical tipping point to embrace this evolving new consumer.
- Angier, N. (2013, November 25). The Changing American Family. The New York Times.
- Ard, H. (2013, September 23). The Third Revolution. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.stylus.com/tnvfth.
- Aquino, R. (2012, September 19). Q&A with BBR8 Thought Leader – Aliesh Pierce – “Advances in Multi-Ethnic Cosmetics.” Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://mazurgroupla.com/qa-with-bbr8-thought-leaderaliesh-pierce-advances-in-multi-ethnic-cosmetics/.
- Baron, K. (2013, September 27). Female Focused Retail. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.stylus.com/tsrvqj.
- Bhargava, R. (2008, October 20). Why Only Stupid Marketers Use Age As A Demographic. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.rohitbhargava.com/2008/10/why-only-stupid.html.
- Broughton, A. (2008, August 13). Minorities expected to be majority in 2050. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/13/census.minorities/.
- Bruni, F. (2014, April 5). The New Gay Orthodoxy. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/opinion/sunday/bruni-the-new-gay-orthodoxy.html.
- Callahan, N. S. (2013, August 19). “Mixed Kids Are Always So Beautiful.” Motherlode Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/mixedkids-are-always-so-beautiful/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0.
- The Cassandra Gender Report Summer/Fall 2013.
- Cross, A. (2014, March 28). Mixed-Race: Not Half-and-Half. The Phillipian. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.phillipian.net/articles/2014/03/27/mixed-race-not-half-and-half.
- Davies, M. (2014, May 16). Network Television Is More Diverse Than It’s Been in Decades. Retrieved May 21, 2014, from http://jezebel.com/network-television-is-morediverse-than-its-been-in-dec-1577114222?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow.
- Finkel, E. “The All-or-Nothing Marriage.“ The New York Times. 15 Feb. 2014. Web. 6 Mar. 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/opinion/sunday/the-all-or-nothing-marriage.html.
- Franco, J. “The Meanings of the Selfie.” The New York Times. 28 Dec. 2013. Web. 6 Mar. 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/arts/the-meanings-of-theselfie.html.
- Fundenburg, L. The Changing Face of America. National Geographic. Retrieved January 2, 2014, from http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/changing-faces/funderburg-text.
- Gates, G. “How Many People Are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender?” The Williams Institute, Apr. 2011. Web. 20 Apr. 2014. http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/.
- Gobe, M. (2009). Emotional branding the new paradigm for connecting brands to people. New York: Allworth Press.
- Griggs, B. (2014, February 13). Facebook goes beyond ‘male’ and ‘female’ with new gender options. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/socialmedia/facebook-gender-custom/.
- Harris, E. (2014, January 16). Target tests small store for urban shoppers as young people pick cities over suburbs. The New York Times, p. 4.
- Helm, B. (2010, July 8). Ethnic Marketing: McDonald’s Is Lovin’ It. Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Hernandez, J. “The Future of Multicultural Marketing in America.” Brand Lateen RSS. N.p., 02 Oct. 2011. Web. 01 Mar. 2014.
- Iman. “Think Tank: Iman on the Multicultural Consumer.” WWD. N.p., 8 Feb. 2013. Web. 24 Feb. 2014.
- Kotkin, J., & Schill, M. (2013, September 23). A Map of America’s Future: Where Growth Will Be Over The Next Decade. Forbes, 2013, 18.
- Looper, L. (2011 5–23). HowStuffWorks “How Generation Z Works.” HowStuffWorks. Retrieved March 6, 2014, from http://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/generation-gaps/generation-z.htm.
- Maglaty, J. (2011, April 8). When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? The Smithsonian.
- Matusow, J. (2014, January 2). Lining up for the Latino market. Beauty Packaging.
- Membis, L. (2010, September 13) Is Ethnic Beauty the New “it” factor? CNN. Retrieved April 7,2014 from http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/09/13/ethnic.beauty/.
- Millet, J. (2000, January 1). Understanding American Culture From Melting Pot to Salad Bowl. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.culturalsavvy.com/understanding_american_culture_2.htm.
- Mintel “The Great White Minority” 7, April 2011.
- Nielsen “Demystifying Multicultural Consumers” 29, April 2014.
- Nittle, N. K. (2010, February 1). What Is Internalized Racism?. About.com Race Relations. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://racerelations.about.com/od/understandingrac1/a/internalizedracism.htm.
- Needle, D. (2013, March 19). Teens stay online more than they did just 3 months ago; tablets a big reason why. Retrieved May 10, 2014, from http://tabtimes.com/news/marketing/2013/03/19/teens-stay-online-more-theydid-just-3-months-ago-tablets-big-reason-why.
- Noris, M. (2013, September 17). Visualizing Race, Identity, and Change. National Geographic.
- Pascale, D., & Wendlandt, A. (2013, December 18). Luxury brands step up battle for travelling shoppers. Reuters.
- Perez, A. D., & Hirschman, C. (2010, June 9). The Changing Racial and Ethnic Composition of the US Population: Emerging American Identities. Retrieved March 20, 2014, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882688/.
- Perez, G. “Marketing to the Multicultural Consumer.” Advertising Research Foundation’s (ARF) 2011 Annual Re:think Convention. 26 Jan. 2012. Speech.
- PSFK, with The Curve Report from NBCUniversal Content Innovation and Creative Marketing, is examining the future of Gen Z. 13, December 2013.
- Racoma, B. (2013, March 4). Top 10 Culturally Diverse Cities in the World. Day News RSS. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.daynews.com/latestnews/2013/03/top-10-culturally-diverse-citiesin-the-world-15031.
- Rousmaniere, D. (2013, May 24). A Futurist Looks at the Future of Marketing. Harvard Business Review.
- Russo, M. (2014, February 26). Diversity is beautiful: Americans should celebrate cultural and linguistic differences rather than trying to neutralize them. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2014/02/russo-diversity-is-beautiful.
- Santiago, N. (2010, May 10). BOUTIQUE OF THE WEEK: PROUDRACE Get to know the online label and shop its dark, brooding, futuristic styles. Retrieved May 9, 2014, from http://www.stylebible.ph/fashion/style-report/boutique-of-the-week-proudrace/?ref=prev_top#undefined.
- Sell, S. (2013, October 11). Empowering Global Women. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.stylus.com/qhnzsk.
- Shapiro, B. “Makeup That Addresses the Many Shades of Women” The New York Times. 19 March. 2014. Web. 20 Mar. 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/fashion/makeup-foundation-for-the-many-shades-of-women.html?_r=0.
- Solomon, A. (2014, April 5). Honey Maid And the Business of Love. The New Yorker.
- Stylus Forum “Modern Family” 2014.
- Ted Talk “Connected by alone?” 2012 Sherry Turkle.
- Tesseras, L. (2014, April 9). Brands can engage multiple generations with pop music. Marketing Week.
- Walter, E. (2013, December 17). 2014 Digital Trends And Predictions From Marketing Thought Leaders. Forbes.
- Ward, C. (2013, September 23). New Rules for Marketing to Women. Retrieved April 5, 2014, from http://www.stylus.com/ctdjyw.
- Wasserman, T. (2012, August 7). How Coke Spread Happiness (and Cokes) via Mobile. Retrieved May 21, 2014, from http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/coke-happiness-mobile/.
- Wentz, L. (2003, July 7). Pepsi puts interests before ethnicity. AdAge.
- Wolchover, N. “What Will Future Humans Look Like?” Live Science, September 2012. Web. 20 Apr. 2014. http://www.livescience.com/34228-will-humans-eventually-all-looklike-brazilians.html.
Industry Expert Interviews:
Castro, M. Phone Interview, MAC Global consumer insights. 10, April 2014.
Gottlieb, Ann. Interview, Ann Gottlieb Associates. 28 April 2014.
Lilly, Russell, Unilever
Navia, Alyssa. Phone Interview, L'Oréal Luxe Global Shopper. 4, April 2014.
Robinson, Aja. Phone Interview, L'Oréal Luxe Multi Cultural Consumer. 2, April 2014.