Most Popular in:
More: State of Packaging 2010
By: Jeff Falk
Posted: September 1, 2010, from the September 2010 issue of GCI Magazine.
Complementary to the September 2010 State of Packaging feature, an expert panel delves into topics such as the catalysts for next-generation packaging innovations; key brand equities expressed through packaging; new materials, designs and technologies; and working/adapting with brand owners in new ways.
- Lesley Gadomski, Sales Manager, Fusion Packaging
- Andrew H. Dent, PhD, Vice President, Library and Materials Research, Material ConneXion
- Earl Trout, Director of Marketing, MWV Beauty & Personal Care
- Sandy Nagel, Co-owner and Vice President, JSN Cosmetic Packaging
- Ilan Schinazi, CEO, Cosfibel
- Walter Dwyer, West Coast Sales Director, Cosmopak USA
- Rebecca Holland, Marketing Director, Kaufman Container Company
- Tom DiPietro, Vice President, R&D, DayGlo
- Dominic Bakic, CEO, DieterBakicEnterprises
- Jorge Izquierdo, Vice President of Market Development, PMMI
- Marny Bielefeldt, Marketing Director, Alpha Packaging
Q: Have brand owners sacrificed some aspect of packaging due to budget constraints, and how has your company responded?
Gadomski: Due to budget constraints, some brand owners are looking for alternatives to heavy wall acrylic packaging. In response, Fusion has expanded its PP airless offerings. Keeping low cost and eco-friendly resin in mind, each bottle is ergonomically designed without an over cap and conveys a simplified, clean image.
Dent: If that aspect of packaging is at all superfluous, then isn’t [sacrificing that aspect] a good thing? If we can provide great quality packaging that is beautiful without the need for excess material, then this is progress.
Trout: I wouldn’t say that brand owners have sacrificed some aspect of packaging due to budget constraints. I will say that companies are being more nimble about their packaging offerings by expanding product offerings to include smaller, more affordable sizes. Even if these consumers trade down in product size, they still respond to creative, innovative and sophisticated packaging designs and materials.