The biodegradable BASF plastics Ecoflex and Ecovio received the 2007 iF material award. The International Forum Design (iF), the design center in Hannover (Germany), provides a platform for manufacturers, designers and design engineers to showcase their design ideas in the four categories of material and material application, product, idea and process.
The two plastics Ecoflex and Ecovio are among the six winners in the material and material application category. Dietmar Heufel, Global Business Management Biodegradable Polymers, accepted the iF material award: “Ecoflex and Ecovio open up a huge range of opportunities for designers. They are suitable, for example, for packaging materials, can accept print in eight colors and possess great mechanical strength. Furthermore, Ecovio can be modified to make it suitable for injection molding and thermoforming applications," said Dietmar Heufel, global business management biodegradable polymers, BASF.
The plastic consists to the extent of almost 50 percent of polylactic acid (PLA) derived from corn. The other component is the biodegradable plastic Ecoflex based on petrochemicals. From Ecovio customers can produce tailor-made blends. Depending on the mixing ratio of Ecovio with Ecoflex or PLA more flexible or more rigid formulations are possible.
Biodegradable Plastics Honored
June 8, 2007
BASF Introduces Dehyton® AO 45 – The First Commercial Microalgae-Derived Betaine Surfactant — BASF Personal Care
Most Popular in Packaging
- 455Packaging as Added Value
- 213Exclusive: 3 Keys to Brand and Packaging Success
- 198New H2O Plus Product Features Glossy Aptar Dispenser
- 174The Big Reveal: This Year's NJPEC Packaging Awards
- 152Spray Tech for Cosmetic Mist Trend
- 131Cosfibel Creates Mythical Shalimar Gift Box for Holiday
- 116PSB Industries in Talks to Acquire Topline
- 104Tetra Pak's Note to Suppliers: Let's See Your Ethical Report Card
- 102The Second Moment of Truth
- 97Latest Bottle Design from INCA