The Soap and Detergent Association (SDA) announced that Judith H. Smeltzer is the 2007 recipient of the Elva Walker Spillane Distinguished Service Award. The award recognizes extensive and exceptional service to SDA and outstanding leadership within the association. The Award was presented during SDA’s 2007 Annual Meeting and Industry Convention in Boca Raton, Florida.
“For more than 30 years, Judy Smeltzer has been heavily involved in SDA committees, programs and activities,” said Ernie Rosenberg, president and CEO, SDA. “She has tirelessly lent her sweat equity to promoting and defending the interests of SDA and our industry at-large... and the role our industry has played in enhancing health through cleaning products and practices.”
Smeltzer is the director of state government relations for Philadelphia-based FMC Corporation. She joined the company in 1963, and has served the company in various business, regulatory, communications, public affairs and government relations positions. She also manages FMC’s philanthropy programs, including being actively involved with FMC’s support of arts and culture institutions in Philadelphia.
In 1974, Smeltzer served as chair of SDA’s first Detergents in depth symposia, which brought together industry, government and consumer representatives in an open forum on detergent trends and regulations. In the years since, she has been active in a number of SDA committees, and has played an invaluable role in SDA’s phosphate defense efforts.
The SDA Distinguished Service Award is named in honor of the late Elva Walker Spillane, the former National Purity LLC chief executive who served on SDA’s Board for 20 years.
Judith Smeltzer Honored with SDA Distinguished Service Award
February 5, 2007
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 264Can the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Really Promise Healthier Brands?
- 58Fragrance Regulations Demystified
- 23There's WHAT in Expired Cosmetics?
- 21The Challenges of Establishing Natural Standards for Fragranced Personal Care
- 9Cosmetics or Drugs?
- 83-D Printed Skin Focus of L'Oreal-Organovo Deal
- 6Rules & Revelations: Fragrance Regulations Demystified
- 6ALERT: Senators Propose a Bill for Greater Cosmetic Regulatory Oversight
- 6Unilever Zero Waste Expands
- 5PASS Coalition Urges Immediate Action to Fight Skin Cancer
- Chemical Reaction: A Deep Breath
12/10/2008, Steve Herman
- Water and Oil
6/7/2011, Steve Herman
- The Challenges of Establishing Natural Standards for Fragranced Personal Care
10/27/2014, Jack Corley
- Fragrance Regulations Demystified
8/28/2008, Carl Geffken
- FDA and Academic; Research Institutions to Collaborate Under Nanotechnology Initiative
3/23/2009, Jeff Falk