Segments Sponsored by
According to Mintel, Brazil is a key country for the global hair care market. And now, highlighting its importance, new research from Mintel reveals Brazil accounted for 9% of all hair care products launches in 2013 worldwide, ahead of the U.K. (8%) and the U.S. (7%).
Indeed, Brazil’s hair care market is projected to see double annual digit growth over the next four years, according to Mintel, set to reach an estimated R$ 12.45 billion by 2017. In 2013, Mintel estimates the Brazilian shampoo and conditioner retail market value alone is to be US$ 2.92 billion. The shampoo subcategory has the highest penetration, with 91% of Brazilians saying they use it—making usage higher than in Spain (90%), Italy (90%), Germany (92%), France (91%) and U.K. (89%).
Of the trend, Christopher Lindsley, global skin care analyst at Mintel, says, “The Brazilian hair care market is strong and established, accounting for more launches that any other country in 2013. This is helped by a developed consumer hair care regimen and the market is also home to communication rarely seen elsewhere in the world. Looking ahead, developing anti-aging claims can add value to the market while campaigns can appeal to the country’s diversity with specific regional claims.”
Mintel also reports that in Brazil, 39% of consumers say they use leave-in conditioner—a high penetration when compared to developed markets such as France, where 11% of the consumers say they use it and the U.K., 10%. Furthermore, 75% of Brazilian consumers say they use wash-out conditioner, compared to just 31% of French and 59% of the U.K. consumers.
And when it comes to hair care claims in Brazil, Mintel finds moisturizing/hydrating and anti-dandruff are the most popular ones, with, around 35% and 31% of Brazilian consumers looking for them, respectively. Accordingly, 50% of all the Brazilian hair care product launches carried the moisturizing/hydrating claim in 2013 as opposed to 29% of global hair care launches.
Additionally, Brazilian hair care product communication is inspiring the global market. While previously the vast majority of hair care product launches specifying the use of salt-free formulations were found in the Brazilian market, this is slowing changing. In 2011, for example, Brazil represented 95% of these launches, while 5% was represented by the rest of the world. Meanwhile in 2013, Brazil accounted for 86% and the rest of the world, 14%.