Fashion Institute of Technology - Full-Time Faculty Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing
Posted: November 04, 2013
Thank you for considering Fashion Institute of Technology in your search.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing Department of the Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city’s art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology educates students for management and leadership roles within the fashion and related creative industries. Our curricular integrates a deep appreciation of how markets, business environments, advanced business technology and competition can be managed in a global context. The Baker School provides a professional faculty and business climate that enables students to be immediately valuable contributors to their industries.
The Baker School of Business and Technology collaborates with both the School of Art and Design, and the School of Liberal Arts, whose courses help students to better understand themselves, others, and their place in an increasingly complex world. The Baker School co-operates to design curricular and educational experiences that help hone general skills and behaviors that employers increasingly demand: critical thinking and problem solving skills, a strong sense of professional and ethical responsibility, social skills, the ability to work productively in teams, and good oral and written communications skills.
The vision of the Baker School is to be the most academically recognized school of excellence where students come to learn about the business of the core industries that we serve–the creative, fashion and design industries–and where industry, government and associations see creative alliances for the development of ideas, solution innovation, future thinking, and problem solving.
The mission of the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing Department is to develop students’ creative, intellectual, technological, and analytical capabilities through a course of study that cross-pollinates the aesthetics of the cosmetics and fragrance industries with business outcomes. The program is committed to preparing students for professional excellence in executive, managerial and support positions in the cosmetics, fragrance and toiletries business. The range of alumni careers includes but is not limited to product development, marketing, brand management, fragrance evaluation, sales executives, trend forecasters and project coordinators.
The successful candidate will possess the creative and business skills for marketing and product development in the cosmetics, fragrance and toiletries industries while being able to identify emerging trends in the beauty industry. This new faculty member will be an integral part of implementing the strategic goals of the department and should demonstrate the ability to take part in administrative activities. Responsibilities will include promoting the program, mentoring students interested in the discipline, and building strong partnerships in the cosmetics, fragrance and toiletries field. In addition to excellent professional credentials, the candidate should demonstrate interest or experience in teaching, proficiency in scholarly research, the ability to produce innovative curriculum, a desire to participate in department and college-wide committee work, and most importantly, display a passion for the cosmetics and fragrance industry with the ability to convey this excitement to students.
In addition to the appropriate degree(s) and experience, FIT seeks candidates who have professional capabilities in the following five college-wide core competency areas:
- Demonstrates an understanding of the global nature of the beauty industry.
- Display a keen sense of professional, ethical and social responsibility and exhibit the ability to recognize and be sensitive to all racial, ethnic, religious and social groups in a multicultural environment.
- Embrace the concept of sustainability as part of the learning process.
- Understand the unique global aspects of beauty marketing and product development across geographic boundaries.
- Implement an academically challenging experience by incorporating business practices with classroom learning.
- Create a variety of assessment tools for student work to capture the wide variety of learning styles in the classroom.
- Incorporate interdisciplinary programs to mirror the way industry works in the cosmetics and fragrance business.
- Maintain strong connections with the beauty industry to allow for the integration of new professional procedures in the curriculum.
- Embrace new forms of pedagogy including online learning, blended classes, and experiential learning.
- Foster writing, research and critical thinking skills in the classroom.
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of team building skills.
- Provide platforms for the development of student presentation capabilities.
- Participate in global conferences for the cosmetics and fragrance industries.
- Maintain a strong network of alumni and industry experts who will act as a resource for internships, mentors, curriculum development, guest speakers and placement opportunities for graduates.
- Demonstrate currency and engagement in the primary teaching disciplines.
- Ability to apply the latest technologies to enhance learning and teaching including; proficiency in PC or MAC-based operating systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Keynote and the Adobe Suite.
- Incorporate resources provided by the SUNY Learning Network (SLN) and use ANGEL in classroom, online or blended courses.
- Attend workshops, seminars and other educational opportunities offered for FIT faculty.
- Provide students with knowledge of the latest technologies used by the cosmetics and fragrance industries.
Master’s degree and seven (7) years of experience at an executive level in the cosmetics and fragrance industry. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Fall 2014. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and experience. Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position. Online applications are encouraged. Applications without all application materials will not be considered.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual’s ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Please visit this link to apply.
Online applications are required. Please provide:
- A letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume; and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references, with phone and e-mail contact information.
Please note due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at:www.fitnyc.edu.