Fashion Week in New York City began Sept. 4 with the lighting of the Empire State Building, which glowed orange, purple and red in honor of the Mercedes-Benz sponsored event. The shows featured the flowing and belted beauties of BCBG, the Brazilian Bond girls of Gottex glamour, the prom date panache of Betsey Johnson and all manner of hair and makeup—from the demure, frizz-free chignons of Terexov to long, luxuriant, loose locks.
The festivities kicked off with the appearance of John Demsey, global president of MAC Cosmetics (one of the event sponsors), and entertainer and MAC Viva Glam spokesperson Eve. After officially inaugurating the show, the pair popped backstage to wish Gwen Stefani luck with her L.A.M.B. runway show, for which MAC Cosmetics created the makeup looks.
Backstage held the key to the looks that brought the designers’ vision to light. At Helena Fredriksson’s show, Kevin Mendelson, national educator for jane iredale Mineral Cosmetics, created smoky eyes, warm, unstructured cheeks and satiny lips to complement the line. Jet black mascara, weightless mineral makeup, soft eyes and shades of taupe, cappuccino or walnut created washes of cheek color. For hair, Joico provided soft, rounded pageboy styles, fringed with linear bangs to complement the designs.
Betsey Johnson presented a “prom queen” retrospective, with looks adapted from the 50s—with bouffant hair, polka dot pinafores, layered crinolines with high hair to match, and ruby lips.
Fashion Week Frenzy
December 10, 2007
BASF Introduces Dehyton® AO 45 – The First Commercial Microalgae-Derived Betaine Surfactant — BASF Personal Care
Most Popular in Event Coverage
- 267InnoCos Digital NY 2015 Part 2: Smart Packaging & Optimizing Retail
- 205Beauty's Digital and Social Media Leaders Honored at innoCos Digital
- 82The Customized Consumer Experience: Cosmopack New York Wrap-up
- 74Future Beauty Industry Leaders Forecast Beauty in 2020
- 63Marketing Beauty to the Hispanic Consumer
- 63Cosmoprof 2015: Developing & Executing Great Ideas
- 55CEW 2015 Beauty Award Winners Announced
- 42CEW UK Honors Beauty Shapers and Influencers
- 38Considering Asia’s Beauty Markets
- 29Summit Looks at Sustainable Issues Within the Beauty Industry