The Skin Sense Award gala, benefitting The Skin Cancer Foundation, was held Oct. 10 in The Grand Ballroom of The Pierre in New York City. This event honored Colleen Goggins, worldwide chairman, consumer group, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc., and Valerie Monroe, beauty director, O, The Oprah Magazine, for their contributions to skin cancer awareness.
Meredith Vieira, event host and co-anchor of NBC’s Today show, welcomed guests with the heartening news that all forms of skin cancer are 99% curable. Perry Robins, MD, president, The Skin Cancer Foundation, told guests that healthy, natural glowing skin without the tan is the goal. “Let’s ban the tan,” he urged, noting that being healthy and comfortable in your own skin are key.
Goggins, introduced by J&J chairman and CEO William Weldon, noted both J&J’s consumer education efforts regarding sun exposure/cancer and the efforts of scientists developing innovative approaches to the treatment of skin cancer.
Bobbi Brown, founder and CEO, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, introduced Valerie Monroe, who acknowledged The Skin Cancer Foundation for raising awareness and noting that part of her mission within the beauty pages of O, The Oprah Magazine is to help women play up their assets rather than their deficits. “We want our readers to apply sunscreen the way they brush their teeth,” she said. “The best antiwrinkle cream is a broad spectrum sunscreen. There’s looking beautiful and there’s being beautiful, which involves only one thing, having an open heart.”
The benefit raised more than $975,000 for skin cancer research.
Skin Sense Award Gala
December 10, 2007
BASF Introduces Dehyton® AO 45 – The First Commercial Microalgae-Derived Betaine Surfactant — BASF Personal Care
Most Popular in Event Coverage
- 267InnoCos Digital NY 2015 Part 2: Smart Packaging & Optimizing Retail
- 205Beauty's Digital and Social Media Leaders Honored at innoCos Digital
- 82The Customized Consumer Experience: Cosmopack New York Wrap-up
- 74Future Beauty Industry Leaders Forecast Beauty in 2020
- 63Marketing Beauty to the Hispanic Consumer
- 63Cosmoprof 2015: Developing & Executing Great Ideas
- 55CEW 2015 Beauty Award Winners Announced
- 42CEW UK Honors Beauty Shapers and Influencers
- 38Considering Asia’s Beauty Markets
- 29Summit Looks at Sustainable Issues Within the Beauty Industry