Richard Baker, CEO of Alliance Boots, was recognized as the International Chain Drug Retailer of the Year. The award, presented last night at an event hosted by the editors of Chain Drug Review, is bestowed upon the international chain drug executive whom has best embodied the global industry in the past year.
In 2006, his second year running Boots, Baker orchestrated one of the most significant mergers in the history of chain drug retailing by uniting Boots Group PLC, the United Kingdom’s most successful drug chain, and Europe’s top drug wholesaler, Alliance UniChem PLC. The move created the biggest drug retailer and wholesaler in Europe, with approximately 3,000 retail drug stores in the UK and European continent.
Baker’s move also orchestrated Boots’ entrance into the United States and Canadian markets, where proprietary Boots brands such as the hugely successful No7 cosmetics line are now being sold for the first time at CVS Corp., Target Stores in the U.S. and Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.
“I accept the award on behalf of all the amazing people at Boots, and look forward to further accelerating the growth of this company for years to come,” said Baker. About Boots Alliance Boots is the result of the merger between Boots Group PLC and Alliance UniChem Plc on 31st July 2006. The new Company is an international pharmacy led health and beauty group. The merger created a group comprising approximately 3,000 retail outlets, including associates, of which approximately 2,700 have a pharmacy, and a wholesale network serving approximately 125,000 outlets.
Boots CEO Named Chain Drug Retailer of the Year
February 1, 2007
Most Popular in Event Coverage
- 278InnoCos Digital NY 2015 Part 2: Smart Packaging & Optimizing Retail
- 207Beauty's Digital and Social Media Leaders Honored at innoCos Digital
- 55Marketing Beauty to the Hispanic Consumer
- 50Future Beauty Industry Leaders Forecast Beauty in 2020
- 47The Customized Consumer Experience: Cosmopack New York Wrap-up
- 46CEW 2015 Beauty Award Winners Announced
- 43CEW UK Honors Beauty Shapers and Influencers
- 33Considering Asia’s Beauty Markets
- 28Summit Looks at Sustainable Issues Within the Beauty Industry
- 24Cosmoprof 2015: Developing & Executing Great Ideas