Most Popular in:
By: Simone Bolotin (group leader), Colleen Celentano (co-leader), Renee Bukowski, Alexandra de Lara and Michael Kremer
Posted: June 4, 2014
- PDF of "Men's Beauty" (PDF 1.58 MB)
page 4 of 4
Billions of dollars are being left on the table simply because the industry has not made it a priority to understand men’s authentic drivers, and reach him through the people, places, images, and communication style that he truly connects with. We cannot adopt a women’s model to reach men, we must look towards the changing landscape of masculinity to identify new needs and genuine consequences.
Applying the 4G Growth Engine backed by the support of the industry will create the perfect storm needed to construct a more sophisticated men’s grooming market in the United States. This fresh approach offers a compelling opportunity for the future of the beauty industry. Men today are evolving, and we must evolve with them. Now is the time for the men’s grooming movement.
- Averill, F. (2014). Do you have the right grooming routine? Retrieved 7 April 2014, from http://www.askmen.com/grooming/appearance/top-10-anti-aging-products-everyman-should-own_9.html.
- Barbalova, I. (2012). Do men really care about beauty? Global Cosmetic Industry, 180(9), 30-33.
- Berelowtiz, M., & Ayala, N. (2013). The state of men. Retrieved 15 April 2014, from http://www.jwtintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/F_JWT_The-State-of-Men_Trend-Report_06.04.13.pdf.
- Bialik, C. (2014). Who makes the call at the mall, men or women? Retrieved 21 May 2014, from http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703521304576278964279316994.
- Bierce, A. (1958). The devil’s dictionary (1st ed.). New York: Dover Publications.
- Binkley, C. (2014). New tips on selling clothes to men: Don’t show models’ faces, make the photos bigger, and don’t put tissue paper in the package. Retrieved 21 May 2014, from http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324110404578625933374837170.
- Boyle, M. (2013). Real men use mud masks as toiletries win in guy grooming. Retrieved 1 March 2014, from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/real-men-use-mudmasks-as-toiletries-win-in-guy-grooming.html.
- Brizendine, L. (2010). The male brain (1st ed.). New York: Broadway Books.
- Cherry, K. (2014). What’s the difference between the classical and operant conditioning?. Retrieved 5 April 2014, from http://psychology.about.com/od/behavioralpsychology/a/classical-vs-operant-conditioning.htm.
- Clifford, S. (2014). Log In - The New York Times. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/business/more-dads-buy-the-toys-so-barbie-and-storesget-makeovers.html.
- Defy Media. (2014). 2nd Annual Acumen Report: Brand New Man. New York.
- Datamonitor. (2010). Dove men + care case study.
- Datamonitor. (2011). Gillette fusion pro glide case study: using consumer focused marketing to instill brand confidence.
- Datamontior. (2010). Old Spice case study: Effectively harnessing social media in personal care.
- Dermalinstitute.com. (2014). IDI News » Men. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/news/?tag=men.
- Deutsch, Francine M., Zalenski, Carla M., & Clark, Mary E. (1986). Is there a double standard of aging? Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 16, 771-85.
- Etcoff, N. (1999). Survival of the prettiest (1st ed.). New York: Doubleday.
- Euromonitor International. (2010). The pursuit of pink money: gay and lesbian spending patterns. Retrieved from: Euromonitor International Passport database.
- Euromonitor International. (2013). Men’s grooming in the US. Retrieved from: Euromonitor International Passport database.
- Euromonitor International Passport database. [Accessed: 12 May 2014]. Retrieved from: Euromonitor International Passport database.
- Euromonitor International. (2014). Beauty and personal care industry overview. Retrieved from: Euromonitor International Passport database.
- Étienne, M. (2014). The new masculinity. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/austin_500/510_thenew-masculinity.html.
- Evans, M. (2014). Multi-tiered grooming: The evolution of man. Retrieved 22 February 2014, from http://www.wwd.com/beautyindustry-news/products/multi-tiered-grooming-evolution-of-man-2171316.
- Fiefer, J. (2012). How axe built a highly scientific, totally irresistible marketing machine built on lust. Retrieved 26 February 2014, from http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681417/howaxe-built-a-highly-scientific-totally-irresistiblemarketing-machine-built-on-lust.
- Forbes.com. (2014). Gatorade on the Forbes world’s most powerful brands list. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/companies/gatorade/.
- Gallon, V. (2012). Male grooming: market grows at rapid pace but brands need to adapt. Retrieved 1 March 2014, from http://www.premiumbeautynews.com/en/male-groomingmarket-grows-at,4457.
- Gatorade.com. (2014). Gatorade | G series sports drinks for energy, hydration and recovery. Retrieved 11 May 2014, from http://www.gatorade.com/products/g-series.
- Golub, S. (1985). Health and the female adolescent (1st ed.). New York: Harrington Park Press.
- Graham, N. (2014). Think Tank: Men are the new women. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://www.wwd.com/menswear-news/retail-business/think-tank-men-are-the-newwomen-7002640.
- Grant, A. (2014). Log In - The New York Times. Retrieved 7 April 2014, from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/opinion/sunday/why-men-need-women.html?pagewanted=all.
- Hanna, B. (2012). CPG marketing trends: Millennial males play an influential role in shopping. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://www.cpgtrends.com/2012/05/cpgmarketing-trends-millennial-males-play-aninfluential-role-in-shopping/.
- Hardie, C. (2012). How do men shop? Retrieved 23 February 2014, from http://www.retail-week.com/topics/marketing/how-domen-shop/5033656.article.
- Hart, J. (2014). More men turning to cosmetic surgery. Retrieved 11 May 2014, from http://phillystylemag.com/style/articles/trendmen-cosmetic-surgery.
- Holmes, E. (2014). Dude, pass the exfoliator. Retrieved 7 April 2014, from http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304811304577365902173161004.
- Honigman, B. (2014). When marketing to men, keep these 10 stats in mind. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/226528.
- Hrabi, D. (2014). One man’s foolhardy, fourmonth, 13-product quest for beauty. Retrieved 6 March 2014, from http://www.watchinga.com/article?utm_source=watchinga&utm_medium=topicpage&utm_term=GOWatchinga_cw-network-120435&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=rssfeed&u=http%253a%252f%252fonline.wsj.com%252fnews%252farticles%252fSB10001424052702303880604579404943694260418&c=Do+Men+Need+Beauty+Regimens%253f.
- Investopedia. (2009). Mancession Definition. Retrieved 6 March 2014, from http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mancession.asp.
- Izquieta, A. (2012). 6 hot trends driving men’s ecommerce. Retrieved 11 May 2014, from http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/trends-men-online-shopping/.
- Janssens, K., P, elaere, M., Van den Bergh, B., Millet, K., Lens, I., & Roe, K. (2010). Can Buy Me Love: How Mating Cues Influence Single Men’s Interest in High-Status Consumer Goods, 37.
- Koplovitz, K. (2014). The ‘Women’ Effect: Women have more influence on men’s behavior than previously thought, and it’s changing corporate America. Retrieved 7 April 2014, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kaykoplovitz/the-women-effect_b_3636468.html.
- Kueffner, K. (2014). Short cuts for success. American Salon, 137(2), 98-100.
- Leng, G. (2013). South Korea: Largest market for men’s skin care globally. Retrieved from: Euromonitor International Passport database. [Accessed: 28 Feb 2014].
- Li, S. (2014). Market booms for men’s cosmetics - but don’t call it makeup. Retrieved 1 March 2014, from http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/23/business/la-fi-man-makeup-20120623.
- Library.demographicsnow.com. (2014). Gale Cengage Libraries. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://library.demographicsnow.com/.
- Logue, G. (2012). Renaissance man. Phi Kappa Phi Forum, 92(4), 13.
- L'Oréal Men’s Grooming Report. (2010). Retrieved 5 May 2014, from http://www.loreal.co.uk/sites/default/files/cms/2010.03.25_loreal_mens_grooming_report_final.pdf.
- Martens, C. (2013). Musing’s on men’s grooming. WWD, 4th January.
- McLeod, S. (2007). Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html.
- Men’s Grooming on Growth Track. (2013). MMR, 30(19), 11.
- Mielach, D. (2012). Why Word of Mouth Trumps Traditional Advertising.
- Miller, C. (2014). Log In - The New York Times. Retrieved 3 May 2014, from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/technology/04chrome.html.
- Mims, C. (2014). Thanks to the “mancession,” metrosexuals have become “manfluencers™”. Quartz. Retrieved 6 March 2014, from http://qz.com/138822/thanks-to-the-mancession-metrosexuals-have-become-manfluencers/.
- Mintel. (2013). Men’s personal care, US.
- Mintel. (2014). Soap, bath and shower products, US.
- Otnes, C., & Tuncay-Zayer, L. (2012). Gender, culture, and consumer behavior (1st ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Palan, Kay M. (2001). Gender identity in consumer behavior: A literature review and research agenda. Academy of Marketing Science Review (online), 10 (January), 1-37.
- Rampell, C. (2014). The Mancession. New York Times. Retrieved 30 May 2014, from http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/the-mancession/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1&.
- Reaching The Modern Man. (2013). WWD: Women’s Wear Daily, 206(52), 14b-1.
- Naughton, J., & Fine, J. (2014). Amazon Launching Men’s Prestige Site. Retrieved 22 February 2014, from http://www.wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/retailing/amazonlaunching-mens-prestige-6942790.
- Quickfacts.census.gov,. (2014). USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau. Retrieved 12 May 2014, from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html.
- Reid, K. (2012). Chicago startup trunk club is disrupting the men’s fashion industry. Forbes. Retrieved 1 March 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyreid/2012/07/13/trunk-club/.
- Shoppercentric. (2011). Men as shoppers. ShortList. (2014). Grooming! Definitely not for girls. Retrieved 7 April 2014, from http://www.shortlist.com/grooming/grooming!-definitely-not-for-girls.
- Smith, S. (2014). To attract men, be attractive to men 10/25/2012. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/185932/to-attract-men-beattractive-to-men.html.
- Socha, M. (2014). BHV planning men’s outpost in Marais. Retrieved 21 May 2014, from http://www.wwd.com/menswear-news/retail-business/bhv-planning-mens-outpost-7299197.
- Voyten, K., Edelman, L., DiNunzio, N., Hardyment, A., Hirschbach, L., & Robl, A. (2013). Capstone 2013 White Paper: Digital Commerce. Fashion Institute of Technology. Retrieved 10 May 2014, from http://www.fitnyc.edu/files/pdfs/Digital_Commerce.pdf.
- Walker, R. (2014). It’s a man’s world: Men’s grooming breaks new ground. Global Cosmetic Industry, 182(2), 34-35.
- Wicks, A. (2012). Magazines respond to men’s grooming boom. Retrieved February 22, 2014, from http://www.wwd.com/medianews/fashion-memopad/really-into-grooming-593389?src=facebook/share.
- Williams, R. (2014). Our male identity crisis: What will happen to men? Psychologytoday.com. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201007/our-male-identity-crisis-what-will-happen-men.
- Wilscam, T. (2014). Insights to men’s grooming. Global Cosmetic Industry, 182(2), 36-38.
- Wolf, N. (1991). The beauty myth (1st ed.). New York: W. Morrow.
- WSL, 2014. The American dream remixed. How America shops 2014. New York, NY: WSL Strategic Retail.
Industry Experts Interviewed
Andra Mielnicki, Executive Director, Global Communications, La Mer
Ann Gottlieb, Ann Gottlieb and Associates
Andrew Chen, Manager Marketing, Redken Global
Ashley Boyce, Brand Building Manager, Unilever
Clyde Johnson, Executive Director of Education, La Mer
Chris Salgardo, President, Kiehl’s Since 1851
Craig LaManna, Associate Director, Nivea Men’s
Isabela de Mello, Design Strategist, IDEO San Francisco
Jacqueline Nam, Marketing Manager, SK-II Korea
Jane Gu, Senior Manager, L'Oréal Paris Men Expert
Joseph Grigsby, Executive Director Global Marketing, Lab Series
Julien Bouzitat, Vice President Innovation, L'Oréal
Karen Grant, Vice President and Global Beauty Industry Analyst, NPD
Lisa Sequino, Executive Director, Tom Ford Beauty
Meredith Kaback, Director of Consumer Insights, Coty Prestige
Minh Dan Tran, Marketing Director, Biotherm Canada
Pete Born, Executive Editor, WWD
Rob McGovern, CEO and Founder, Cobrain
Sam Cheow, Vice President, Trends & Reverse Innovation
Conducted in-depth 1:1 interviews with 25 men ages 21-65