Most Popular in:
The Product Development Team
By: Art Rich, Ph.D.
Posted: November 3, 2011, from the November 2011 issue of GCI Magazine.
page 3 of 3
Many different factors impact the setting of a time table. It can depend on the complexity of the formula (start from scratch, OTC, extra testing-clinical-to support claims), ship dates that are established in advance of launch, packaging development and production lead times.
Other Activities of Product Development
- Establishing the product profile
- Scouting new technologies
- Selection of development laboratory and contract (private label) manufacturer
- Assessment of product aesthetics
- Establishing product claims
- Consumer, stability, product performance testing
- Presentation of product ideas
- Supervising formula development schedules
- Packaging compatibility
- Regulatory compliance
- Fragrance development
Art Rich, PhD, is a member of the GCI magazine editorial advisory board. In addition, he is founder and chief consultant at A. Rich Development, LLC., which was founded in 2001. Rich has more than 30 years of experience in the development of marketable personal care and cosmetic formulas for such companies as Johnson & Johnson, Avon, and Bath & Body Works. He can be reached at email@example.com.