The Biggest Claim in Color Right Now
Posted: June 13, 2014
Targeting the hottest trends in color cosmetics and the beauty industry, Mintel beauty analyst and expert Shannon Romanowski shared the blog post “Five new US products that exemplify the most popular product claim in color cosmetics.”
According to Romanowksi, “The color cosmetics industry grew to an estimated $9.3 billion in sales last year, with Mintel forecasting 2-3% growth over the next five years. As tracked by Mintel’s GNPD (Global New Products Database), ‘long-lasting’ is one of the most frequently used category claims, as women want makeup to stay put and last throughout the day.”
Additionally, Romanowksi points out how this trend is extending itself through products. “Long-lasting has expanded to include more specific claims such as ‘creaseless’ or ‘crease proof,’ as evidenced by past launches from Benefit, Tarte, and Neutrogena,” she writes. “This claim may be particularly appealing to older women, who are more likely to experience makeup settling into fine lines and wrinkles, creating a ‘cakey’ and unnatural look.
With this in mind, Romanowski chose five recent examples of the long-lasting claim in color cosmetic products from products in the U.S.
- Starting with the eyes, she selects a shadow duo. “Available as part of the Nars Summer 2014 collection is Duo Eyeshadow, in classic, neutral and fashion-forward varieties,” she shares. “Featuring modern and unexpected color combinations, the eye shadow is based on highly pigmented, long-wearing and crease-resistant micro-fine powders that glide on smoothly and blend effortlessly for a true color application. The product can be applied dry or with a dampened brush for stronger intensity, offering both subtle and smoldering effects for shading, lining and highlighting the eyes.”
- Moving on to the complexion, Romanowski notes, “Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Primer is designed to create a matte and flawless canvas for a refined, velvety-soft skin texture, while offering comfortable and long-lasting wear for an immediate transformation and exquisite complexion. The invisible-touch primer is said to instantly fill in wrinkles and smooth pores for a flawless finish, thanks to a formula containing: re-texturizing ingredients such as special polymers to act as fillers and offer sebum-absorbing properties, and latest generation silicones for exceptional long wear; and Evermat from the African tree enanthia chlorantha to reduce pores and shine, refine texture and diminish sebum secretion. Suitable for all skin types, the product is said to smooth the skin and prolong make-up wear for an all-day fresh look.”
- Acknowledging a whole collection, Romanowski writes, “From Smashbox, The Santigolden Age Collection has been launched for summer 2014. Santigold plays with the notion of approaching the post-2012 Golden Age, where the earth as we know it ceases to exist morphing into its utopic mirror image. The colors featured in this collection are vivid and playful influenced by Santigold’s strong creative sense of collage. Available as part of the range is Be Legendary Lipstick Ring in the shade Still Kickin. The collectible snake ring, designed by Jules Kim, features Swarovski crystals and a limited-edition shade of Be Legendary Lipstick hidden inside. The formula features: shea butter, for lasting moisturization; and antioxidant vitamins C and E. According to the manufacturer, the product can also be used on the cheeks for a subtle flush of lustrous color."
- Moving to a new focus on the eyes, “Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eye Primer is described as a special elixir that extends the life of metallic and shimmer eye makeup,” Romanowski shares. “It is said to feature a ‘unique’ liquid formula that prepares lids for long-lasting adhesion, preventing midday smudges, creases or shimmer fallout. The product comes with a dropper for easy application.”
- And for a little extra umph, Romanowski points out, “The Sephora Collection: Colorful 24 HR Eyeliner is an ultra long-lasting eyeliner that offers an intense color. The liquid eyeliner is claimed to allow to draw in a single stroke an even color. The fast drying formula is said to remain smudge-proof all day long while the fine-tipped, flexible applicator enables to draw a thin or thick line. The waterproof product is available in several shades.”