A new fragrance created by perfume developer Frédéric Malle was launched at New York City’s Barneys Co-op. The scent, Outrageous, is the 16th in a series of library-oriented editions created by Malle, and is the first to be launched in the U.S. Featuring a decidedly “American edge,” rather than a “French classic,” as Malle describes it, the unisex fragrance offers a unique olfactive vocabulary and a colorful, experimental nature.
Malle, whose fragrance will be a Barneys’ exclusive, wanted to be close to the world of Co-op, and set out to create an androgynous scent that could be worn by both genders, that would be sexy and would be perfect for “those who feel young enough to wear it.” “Age is what you make of it,” said Malle, who was educated at New York University, spent time in the advertising world and was an assistant to renowned perfumer Jean Amic in France.
“I wanted to (create) a fragrance that was reminiscent of the years when there was so much fun and creativity in fragrance,” he said.
Malle believes Outrageous offers that point of difference, and cites the talents of Sophia Grojsman at IFF, who he commissioned for the fragrance. She mixed the smell of Caipirinha, a Brazilian cocktail, with the scent of clean laundry, green apple, orange blossom, amber and Texas cedar. The notes break down technically as green apple, followed by the Caipirinha notes of lime, grapefruit, mint and cinnamon, and then by neroli and orange blossom. The clean laundry components incorporate amyl salicylate, aldehydes, amber, cedar and white rose. The result is a scent that marries craft and passion, with a nod, says Malle, to nature and new materials.
“I dream of new molecules bringing scents that no one has ever smelled, scents so new that they would be like new colors on a rainbow,” said Malle.
Frédéric Malle Launches Outrageous
October 11, 2007
BASF Introduces Dehyton® AO 45 – The First Commercial Microalgae-Derived Betaine Surfactant — BASF Personal Care
Most Popular in Event Coverage
- 278InnoCos Digital NY 2015 Part 2: Smart Packaging & Optimizing Retail
- 207Beauty's Digital and Social Media Leaders Honored at innoCos Digital
- 55Marketing Beauty to the Hispanic Consumer
- 50Future Beauty Industry Leaders Forecast Beauty in 2020
- 47The Customized Consumer Experience: Cosmopack New York Wrap-up
- 46CEW 2015 Beauty Award Winners Announced
- 43CEW UK Honors Beauty Shapers and Influencers
- 33Considering Asia’s Beauty Markets
- 28Summit Looks at Sustainable Issues Within the Beauty Industry
- 24Cosmoprof 2015: Developing & Executing Great Ideas
- What is Indie Beauty?
9/30/2015, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor in Chief
- Cosmoprof 2015: Developing & Executing Great Ideas
10/17/2015, Jeb Gleason-Allured
- Racing to the Future
8/26/2008, Jane Evison
- FiFi Awards
8/28/2008, Jeff Falk
- NYSCC Suppliers' Day, May 13-14, 2008
8/28/2008, Leslie Benson