Most Popular in:
Live From New York
By: Nancy Jeffries
Posted: June 17, 2008
page 4 of 9Carl Geffken, ICMAD Technical, Regulatory and Legislative committee chair, discussed international regulations, harmonization opportunities, including seeking a common definition of nanotechnology, and semantic harmonization of terms such as water, aqua and eau. Additionally, she discussed risk assessment and alternatives to animal testing. Stanley Katz, ICMAD chair and president of the ICMAD Purchasing Group and Ken Hegel of Cosmetic Insurance Services discussed the importance of product liability insurance and ICMAD’s program that helps companies protect their businesses at home and oversees. The afternoon sessions were devoted to the FDA’s Cosmetic Regulatory Program, over-the-counter drugs and cosmetic drugs and claims substantiation. Additional information is available at: www.icmad.org and www.fda.gov.
CEW 2008 Beauty Awards
On May 2, 2008, at New York City’s Waldorf-Astoria, Cosmetic Executive Women awarded their annual CEW Beauty Insider’s Choice Awards to the standouts in mass, prestige and independent beauty categories. Based on the votes of CEW members and the board of directors, nearly 600 products were judged, with 135 finalists chosen across 27 categories. Carlotta Jacobson, CEW president, spoke during the luncheon, acknowledging the innovation and creativity of this year’s entries.
Nancy Berger Cardone, publisher of Allure magazine and a sponsor of the event for the past six years, commented on the significance of the beauty awards, noting that a recent report in The New York Times Style section acknowledged the importance of lipstick purchases during a slowdown in consumer confidence, as a significant barometer of our economy today. She also mentioned the ability beauty has to provide a spiritual lift, albeit at a reasonable price to economy-conscious consumers. “Beauty may not be recession-proof,” said Cardone, “but it is recession-resistant.” “There are 32,510 beauty blogs today, which speaks to the importance of the “beauty conversation” she concluded.
Winners of this year’s awards, hosted by Mario Cantone, star in the recently launched film, Sex and the City, were as follows:
- Body Treatment, Mass: Olay Thermal Pedicure
- Body Treatment, Prestige: Origins, Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins The Way of the Bath Matcha Tea Body Scrub
- Facial Skincare, Acne Treatment: Bare Escentuals, Rare Minerals Blemish Therapy
- Facial Skincare, Anti-Aging, Mass: Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
- Facial Skincare, Anti-Aging, Prestige: Shiseido Cosmetics (America) Ltd., Bio-Performance Intensive Skin Corrective Program
- Facial Skincare, Cleanser and Scrub, Mass: Dove SkinVitalizer
- Facial Skincare, Cleanser and Scrub, Prestige: Philosophy the Microdelivery Micro-Massage Exfoliating Wash
- Facial Skincare, Eye Treatment, Mass: Olay Regenerist Eye Derma-Pod Anti-Aging Triple Response System
- Facial Skincare, Eye Treatment, Prestige: Estée Lauder Future Perfect Anti-Wrinkle Radiance Eye Cream
- Facial Skincare, Moisturizer, Mass: L’Oreal Paris Revitalift UV Daily Moisturizing Cream with Mexoryl SX
- Facial Skincare, Moisturizer, Prestige: Estée Lauder Hydra Bright Skin-Tone Perfecting Moisturizer
- Makeup, Eye Product, Mass: Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara
- Makeup, Eye Product, Prestige: Dior DiorShow Blackout Mascara
- Makeup Face Product, Mass: Almay, Smart Shade® Blush and Bronzer
- Makeup, Face Product, Prestige: Estée Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme Ultra Firming Makeup SPF 15
- Makeup Lip Product, Mass: L’Oreal Paris Infallible Never Fail Lipcolour
- Makeup Lip Product, Prestige: YSL Beaute Lip Twins
- Men’s Grooming: Clinique Skin Supplies for Men M Cover
- Hair Care and Coloring Product, Mass: Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray
- Hair Care and Coloring Product, Prestige: Frederic Fekkai, Coiff Controle, Ironless Straightening Balm
- Sun Product, Mass: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70
- Sun Product, Prestige: Estée Lauder Multi-Protection Sun Towelettes for Body SPF 15
- Men’s Scent: Bond No. 9 New York, Andy Warhol Silver Factory, Fragrance Supplier: Givaudan
- Women’s Scent, Prestige: Marc Jacobs Fragrances, Daisy Marc Jacobs, Fragrance Supplier: Firmenich
- Scented Bath and Body Mass: Johnson’s Softoil™ Melt Away Stress Massaging Moisturizer
- Scented Bath and Body, Prestige: Tom Ford Beauty, Black Orchid Finishing Oil Spray
- The 2008 CEW Indie Beauty Awards went to bettybeauty, inc., and Clark’s Botanicals, in a tie.
CEW has approximately 4,000 members to whom it offers industry contacts, mentors, philanthropic initiatives and informational presentations related to the beauty industry. This year, CEW partnered with the NPD Group to introduce new product categories and entry requirements that reflect current consumer shopping trends.