SCC Annual Meeting in New York
By: Nancy Jeffries
Posted: December 19, 2006
On December 7 and 8, the Society of Cosmetic Chemists held its Annual Scientific Meeting and Technology Showcase at New York’s Hilton Hotel. The event featured an innovative Technology Showcase, a timely program that featured topics such as James Leyden, MD’s
Frontiers of Science Award Lecture (sponsored by Cosmetics and Toiletries
magazine), and an in-depth discussion of The Global Regulatory (REACH) Initiative, presented by Barbara Wolf
, of Estée Lauder; Mindy Goldstein
, Estée Lauder; Do-Lung Pan
, Dow Corning; and Peter Megaw
, group regulatory affairs manager for Croda. In addition, a scientific session on hair—presented by Colleen Rocafort
, Ciba; Timothy Gao
, Croda Inc.; K.R. Ramaprasad
, TRI/Princeton; Jennifer Marsh
, P&G Beauty UK; and Christopher L. Gummer
, P&G—explored delivery systems for active ingredients in hair dye bases, hair baseline properties, hair coloring systems with reduced fiber damage, and the effects of coloring and bleaching on hair fibers.
The annual award luncheon honored the following recipients:
- James Leyden received the Frontiers of Science Award.
- The SCC Award, sponsored by Shaw Mudge/Quest International, went to Amy Cannon, John Warner, Kei Saito, Sofia Trakhtenberg, Justin Whitfield and Kevin Dye.
- Tthe Allan Black Award, sponsored by Presperse, went to Pascal Delrieu and Yun Shao.
- The Hans Schaeffer Award, sponsored by Arch Personal Care, went to Paul Matts, Robert Morse and Symon Cotton.
- The Joseph Ciaudelli Award, sponsored by Croda, Inc., went to Yoshinori Masukawa, Hiromi Shimogaki, Kenji Manago and Genji Imokawa.
The Maison G. deNavarre Medal Award went to James Akerson in recognition of his years of commitment to the CTFA Dictionary and his leadership role in Regulatory Affairs. Akerson also served as the 47th SCC President.