A panel of trade and consumer editors bestowed Extracts Best New Product Awards to six exhibitors in Extracts at the New York International Gift Fair (NYIGF), with Joya taking “Best of Show” honors for its Shade of Dusk perfume.
One winner and two finalists were selected in each of five awards categories: Bath & Body; Beauty Accessory; Cosmetic & Fragrance; Natural/Organic; and Packaging. Criteria judges considered were: innovative design; creative use of materials/construction; and use of new materials/technology.
Winter 2010 winners and finalists, selected from more than 100 entries, are:
Best of Show:
Joya (New York) for Shades of Dusk, a natural, solid perfume that captures romance and rituals throughout the ages in mythic amulets containing fragrances reminiscent of classical aphrodisiacs.
Bath & Body:
- Winner: DayNa Decker (Los Angeles) for its Botanika Body Essence Buffer with fine pumice lava crystals that gently remove dead skin cells while rejuvenating skin regeneration, and meadowfoam seed oil to prevent moisture loss.
- Finalist: European Soaps, LLC (Seattle) for its Gardener Soaps from Pré de Provence. Finalist: Seda France Candles (Austin, TX) for its Japanese Quince Body Wash.
- Winner: J.R. Watkins Naturals (Winona, MN) for its Life’s A Beach travel kit, featuring aloe and green tea shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion, and signature wash cloth in zipped travel pouch.
- Finalist: Sohum Cosmetics (Torrance, CA) for its IRIS from Grande Vegetable Collection.
- Finalist: Green Tea Goods (New York) for its Refreshing Towelettes.
Cosmetic & Fragrance:
- Winner: Fruits & Passion (Montreal, Québec) for its Decorative Diffuser Set, a perfumed oil diffuser featuring a birchwood flower design with a ceramic base.
- Finalist: DayNa Decker (Los Angeles) for its Ella Fragrance.
- Finalist: Echo France (Sonora, CA) for its L’epi de Provence Solid Perfume Sticks.
- Winner: Sapothecary (Ukiah, CA) for its Season Sampler, a handmade, Nepalese box with four soaps made with essential rosemary, barley grass oil, lavender peppermint oil, spruce oil and orange cinnamon clove oil representing the four seasons.
- Finalist: Latitude 360 representing Juice Beauty (San Rafael, CA) for its Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder.
- Finalist: Seda France Candles (Austin, TX) for its Seda Naturals.
- Winner: Votivo (Spartanburg, SC) for the black, cut glass tube with embossed Votivo seal featured in its two-piece Dalian Collection packaging.
- Finalist: Napa Soap Company (St. Helena, CA) for its Ceramic Shave Soap Gift Set.
- Finalist: Latitude 360 representing Kalologie (Los Angeles, CA) for its Kalologie Skincare.
“Extracts is known as a showcase for innovation and emerging personal care products,” said Melissa Engongoro, sales manager, Extracts. “These winning products shine in a competitive field.”
The show features 100 exhibitors of cosmetics, perfumes, skin care, bath and body care, beauty accessories, hair care, natural and organic products and well-being lines. It is one of eight divisions of the New York International Gift Fair. The summer 2010 edition of Extracts will take place August 15–19, 2010. Information is available online at www.extractsny.com.