As Greek philosopher Heraclitus declared, "Change is the only constant in life."
This statement is especially true for the beauty and personal care market. From the daily introduction of new products to innovative new indie brands to buzzy beauty trends, the industry is in a constant state of evolution and, regardless of a brand's status, standing out from the crowd is no small feat.
Tips for Surviving and Disrupting the 2019 Beauty Industry
- Be different: Brand founders/owners should consider the gaps in current beauty offerings and avoid launching a brand that lacks a strong point of difference.
- Place value above everything: Brands should always communicate their products' value and distinction to the public.
- Let the consumers do the talking: Brands should spend as much effort crafting the stories they will share as they do the products they make, and soon people will start telling the story for them.
- It takes a village: Brands need an army of people with a complimentary set of superpowers. Respect what they bring to the table. Listen to them—especially when they challenge a brand's belief system.
- Embrace the specialty open-sell cosmetic store: Sephora, Ulta Beauty, Space NK, Blue Mercury, etc. Maybe you've heard of them?
During Beauty Accelerate, brand owners and founders interested in learning more about the secrets of brand building and beauty industry disruption can attend several sessions focused on achieving these goals.
- Roundtable: Building Beauty Brands, from Large Corporate to Start-up—Hosted by David Cole, VP marketing, Tru Fragrance.
- Roundtable: Building and Funding Brands in 2020—Hosted by Bridgette Howard,
founder, Parlor West Ventures.
- Roundtable: Building an Indie Incubator—Hosted by Chris Hobson, president & CEO, Rare Beauty Brands, and Holly McWhorter, fo-founder, creative director and formulator, Plant Apothecary.
- Roundtable: Building a New Beauty Category—Hosted by Avonda Urben, founder, The Perfect V.
- Roundtable: 5 Brand & Business Building Strategies for Beauty—Hosted by Alisa Beyer,
CEO, LemonTree Partners.
- Roundtable: 3 Keys to Navigating Growth—Hosted by Jessica Estrada, founder and CEO, HUE for Every Man.
The 2019 Beauty Accelerate Pre-show Program is now LIVE! Check out what is inside here.