On June 22, 2022, Croda hosted another of its live coffee breaks with the company's marketing, sales and R&D experts. During the session, Croda discussed emerging hairstyling trends and demonstrated live panel tests from the company's hair salon in Princeton, New Jersey.
As reported by Donna Petretti, marketing manager of consumer care; Annie Lamoureux, sales development specialist team leader; and Kumpal Mehta, applications team leader; all of Croda, this year's hairstyling trends highlight self-expression while still prioritizing clean beauty and hair health, which has come into focus over the past couple of years.
According to Croda, the top 6 hairstyling trends in 2022 include:
- Clean beauty: The global clean beauty market is estimated to reach $22 billion by 2024.
- Voluminous hair: Searches for fluffy hair saw an increase of 136% growth and searches for heatless curls saw a 49.5% growth.
- Textured hair: 60% of multicultural hair care is marketed for textured hair as of December 2020.
- Liquid hair: An inStyle survey revealed that frizz was the number one complaint among the 1000+ women participating. This leads to the trend of sleek, shiny, reflective hair that's full and soft to touch.
- Colored hair: Sales of hair colorants in North America are expected to increase by $97.7 million between 2021-2025.
- Multifuncitonality: 69% of global consumers look for ways to simplify lives and routines with multifunctional products.
In relation, the company highlighted several hair formulas:
- Strengthen and Restore Hair Lotion: A lightweight leave-in conditioning lotion that is absorbed into the hair;
- Soft and Shiny Curls Jelly: Imparting sheen and softness to curls with a lightweight jelly;
- Shea No More Hair Balm: A clean, minimal-ingredient hair balm locks in moisture; created specifically for naturally textured hair, this blend of shea and mango butter is meant to keep hair moisturized and nourished;
- Root Lifting Spray: Demonstrated live on the webinar, the formula, with the key ingredient Voluminis (INCI: Ethyltrimonium Chloride Methacrylate/Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Copolymer), encourages charge repulsion to enhance volume but reduce frizz;
- Pre-shampoo Color Protection Primer: A multifunctional product that smooths the hair cuticle and also provides hair protection, especially for vibrant colors; treating colored hair with this primer prior to washing will reportedly help retain color and nourish hair;
- Essential Balance Purifying Scalp Serum: Focused on scalp health, this serum uses encapsulation technology to reduce sebum but also provides conditioning properties. One of the key ingredients in the formula, Nutrinvent Balance (INCI: Hexadecyl Palmitate (and) Lauryl Glucoside (and) Tocopheryl Acetate (and) Sorbitan Ester (and) Cucurbita Pepo Seed Extract (and) Rosemary Extract (and) Tea Tree Oil (and) Sunflower Oil (and) Water (Aqua)) is a featured finalist in the Cosmetics & Toiletries (C&T) Allē Awards;
- 2-in-1 Head and Beard Combing-Gel Cream: Providing shine and combability; and
- Reworkable Taffy: A hair pomade to help with curl retention and hold, and also provide heat protection.