Sensitive skin affects a large part of the population. Figures speak for themselves: 50.9% of women and 38.2% of men in the United States1, 56% of women and 53% of men in Japan2, 69% of women and 44% of men in France3, 50% of women and 40% of men in India4 claim to have sensitive skin. This phenomenon is shared across all the ethnic groups all over the world. Furthermore, considering that skin reactivity is increased by pollution and stress, it creates a sizable demand for products designed to minimize skin sensitivity.
As a matter of fact, according to Mintel’s Global New Products Database (GNPD), thus far in 20145 in the U.S. market, sensitive skin claims represent 25% of total skin care claims, compared to 15% in 2009.
What is sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin is described as being more reactive than normal skin to external stimuli, such as heat, cold, wind, water, skin treatments or cleansing products, acids and even friction from clothing. People experiencing skin hyper-reactivity claim that they frequently feel unpleasant sensations, such as stinging, itching or even burning. This disorder can also be evidenced by visible signs like redness and dryness.
The causes of skin sensitivity
The main cause for the development of cutaneous sensitivity is a fragile skin barrier, even for people who were not necessarily predestined to have sensitive skin. Environmental factors such as temperature variations, wind, sun and pollution as well as stress can damage the skin's protective barrier. Subsequently the epidermis, with its extraordinary sensory capabilities, is more readily exposed to outside irritants and more apt to detect and transmit information about experienced discomfort to the nerve endings.
Holistic approach to treat both the symptoms and causes of sensitive skin, Pacifeel™ is a natural plant extract which has been demonstrated to:
TREAT THE SIGNS OF SENSITIVE SKIN:
- Relief of skin discomfort: After only 21 days, perceived discomfort, such as itching and stinging, is decreased by 80% (p<0.01) and 86% (p<0.05) respectively. Moreover, just a few minutes after applying the irritant, perceived discomfort decreased by 30% (p<0.01)6.
- Decrease in redness: After only 21 days, volunteers observed a significant decrease (-54%, p<0.07) in facial skin redness. A key study confirmed that when redness was caused by an irritant, the induced redness diminished by 8% (p<0.01) to 27% when Pacifeel™ was applied for two months prior to the test6.
AND THE CAUSES:
- Improvement in skin resilience: Pacifeel™ reinforces the skin's protective barrier to reduce its reactivity to environmental factors in the long term. A self-evaluation test supported the long-lasting effect induced by Pacifeel™. After two months, a large majority of volunteers felt their skin was hydrated (77%, p<0.01) and comfortable (83%, p<0.01).
- Misery et al., 2011
- Kamide et al., 2013
- Misery et al., 2006
- Inamadar et al., 2013
- 2014 refers to January 1, 2014-April 1, 2014.
- In vivo tests conducted on volunteers with sensitive skin applying a 3% Pacifeel™ cream versus placebo.
The above paid-for content was produced by and posted on behalf of the Sponsor. Content provided is generated solely by the Sponsor or its affiliates, and it is the Sponsor’s responsibility for the accuracy, completeness and validity of all information included. Global Cosmetic Industry takes steps to ensure that you will not confuse sponsored content with content produced by Global Cosmetic Industry and governed by its editorial policy.