Internet Retailer has released its 2019 Top 500 Report, ranking North America’s top dogs when it comes to web sales.
Among the highlights of the report:
- Retailers ranked numbers 401-500 in 2019 grew their collective web revenue by 24.3% in 2018 over 2017—faster than Amazon’s 20% growth, and the North American e-commerce overall (14.1%)
- North America’s 500 leading online retailers increased their global web sales by 17.6% in 2018—exactly their average annual growth rate over the past five years
- Amazon, the far and away #1, accounted for 45.9% of U.S. online retail growth in 2018 and 20.8% of total U.S. retail sales growth
- The 31 “digitally native” brands in the top 500—such as The Honest Co. (#135) and Glossier Inc. (#404)—collectively grew their web sales 29.5% in 2018, versus 17.4% for the rest of the Top 500
- The 138 store-based retail chains on the list grew online sales by 16.3%, with Walmart Inc. (#3) leading the pack—the megachain saw web sales increase 38.8% in 2018, growing an average of 26% over the past five years
- Consumer brand manufacturers in the top 500, such as Nike Inc. (#34), grew rapidly online, increasing web sales by 17.9%
The full 139-page 2019 Internet Retailer Top 500 Report draws on 200+ data points for each of the 500 leading retailers and brands to provide a granular view of all aspects of online retailing, including conversion rate and average order value by type of merchant and merchandise category.
“Researching the Top 500 never gets old for us because ecommerce keeps changing every year,” said Molly Love, CEO of Vertical Web Media LLC, publisher of the Internet Retailer 2019 Top 500 report. “This year’s Top 500 report digs into exciting new developments in ecommerce, including the big surge in online grocery sales and the growth of omnichannel services offered by store-based retailers. For anyone competing in or following ecommerce, this report is a treasure trove of data that can’t be found anywhere else.”