Textures ranging from wavy to tightly coiled—and everything in between—were celebrated at NaturallyCurly’s Texture on the Runway, held during New York’s Spring 2019 Fashion Week.
Along with retail sponsor Sally Beauty, NaturallyCurly welcomed seven top texture brands—Camille Rose Naturals, Cantu, Carol’s Daughter, Crème of Nature, Mielle Organics, Shea Moisture and The Mane Choice—to present their inspirations and latest product offerings on the runway.
The event, hosted by NaturallyCurly co-founder Michelle Breyer and Love & Hip-Hop star Amara La Negra, also served as a celebration of NaturallyCurly’s 20th anniversary. The show was launched in 2012, after Breyer was struck by the homogeny of hair during NYFW.
“As I covered Fashion Week, I was disappointed to see that the models on the runway didn’t reflect the diversity of our community,” said Breyer. “We decided to create an event that celebrated texture and inclusion, and we wanted to do it during Fashion Week.”
Added Linda Voracek, group vice president of merchandising for Sally Beauty: “At Sally Beauty, we believe the best hair type is your hair type, and we are committed to providing a diverse assortment of products for our customers. Texture on the Runway is unique from other events in that it allows hair to dictate fashion and highlights the diversity of hair textures and styles in a bold way.”
Brand presentations included:
- Camille Rose Naturals’ theme, Carefully Sourced Ingredients Meets Exotic Recipes, took inspiration from the brand’s just released Around the World collection. Looks were inspired by the Amazonian Rainforest, South Pacific and Middle East.
- Cantu’s The Faces of Cantu: Head Over Heels for Texture put the spotlight on the brand’s team members, each of whom was decked out in wearable art.
- Carol’s Daughter highlighted the strong bonds of the blood in its presentation, showcasing shared moments and special bonds by using models who are actually family. Each model was styled with products from the brand’s Pracaxi Nectar style and care line.
- Crème of Nature brought Afrufuturism to the runway with a presentation inspired by the Afro Punk Urban Queen, showcasing edgy streetwear along with multicultural hairstyles.
- Mielle Organics took inspiration from the warrior women of Black Panther’s Wakanda; hair was styled with the brand’s Pomegranate and Honey collection, including the three newest additions to the line: Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo, Moisturizing & Detangling Conditioner and Curl Refreshing Spray.
- Shea Moisture presented “Celebrating Our Shine,” which utilized the brand’s legacy Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Hair Care collection on models styled to reflect the warmth and glow of a tropical day.
- The Mane Choice showcased how it offers empowerment and solutions for all hair textures.
Supporting sponsors of the show included As I Am, ORS Curls Unleashed and Reshma Beauty.