Gattefossé has launched a sun care kit composed of eight formulas with four key ingredients designed for sensory, performance and stability properties that support the efficacy of UV filters while removing the discomfort of a greasy, sticky feeling they sometimes bring.
Four Key Ingredients
- Emulium Illustro (INCI: Polyglyceryl-6 Polyhydroxystearate (and) Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate), a w/o emulsifier, has proven its compatibility with organic and mineral UV filters and creates stable formulations with a comfortable feel.
- Emulium Dolcea MB (INCI: Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Glyceryl Stearate (and) Jojoba Esters (and) Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax (and) Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate (and) Water (aqua) (and) Polyglycerin-3), an o/w emulsifier, is designed to create stable textures with a soft and non-tacky feel.
- Emulium Mellifera MB (INCI: Polyglyceryl-6 Distearate (and) Jojoba Esters (and) Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax (and) Cetyl Alcohol) is another o/w emulsifier said to support the formulation of sun care products with a light and non-greasy finish.
- Acticire MB (INCI: Jojoba Esters (and) Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax (and) Acacia Decurrens Flower Wax (and) Polyglycerin-3) is an active texturizing agent that improves the sensoriality of sun care products by reducing the greasy and tacky feel. It also improves durability of the protective film on the skin, according to Gattefossé.
Also per the company, the sunscreens have been tested in real-use conditions utilizing a UV camera to visualize the formulas upon application to the skin, as well as how they evolve over time.
Two Featured Formulas
- 2177-7.03 Mineral Shield SPF50 is formulated with Emulium Illustro and Gatuline Radiance (INCI: Propanediol (and) Evodia Rutaecarpa Fruit Extract). This sunscreen reportedly is neither sticky nor greasy and is easy to apply.
- 2494-1.13 Powdery Stick SPF50+ is made with Emulium Illustro, Acticire MB and Lipocire A SG (INCI: C10-18 Triglycerides) and is designed for areas of the body that are prone to UV damage, such as the nose, cheekbones, scars and tattoos. Once applied, it is said to leave a dry and powdery finish.
Malorie Duvent, cosmetic evaluation manager and sun care expert at Gattefossé, commented: “We have been working on sun care for eight years now. Our ingredients enable [us] to create innovative textures with all kinds of UV filters. Our expert sensory panel helps us to optimize the sensory profiles of our sun care products. Performance being a priority, we test our formulas to guarantee the protective efficacy (SPF in vitro and in vivo, UVA), the water resistance and the photostability of UV filters."