As consumers actively seek out effective and reliable sun care products, three trends have emerged that Technavio predicts will help grow the market through 2020: product innovations through technological advancement, demand for private label brands and use of nanotechnology in product development.
Product Innovations through Technological Advancement
- Companies are adding additional benefits to sun care products such as anti-aging, hypoallergenic and intense repair properties.
- Products for specific target groups are being launched that include women living in humid climate conditions, children and athletes.
Demand for Private Label Brands
- The number of private labels is increasing in the sun care products market, resulting in an increase of competition for global vendors.
- Private labels are often preferred over branded ones in lots of Western countries.
- Consumers are able to purchase private label products at reasonable costs, which helps fuel market growth.
Use of Nanotechnology in Product Development
- The process of manipulating materials at a molecular or atomic scale is referred to as nanotechnology.
- The nanoparticles that are created in this process aim to better give more protection from the sun, its UV rays and to give the products a smoother texture when applies on the skin.
- Brands such as L’Oréal and Shiseido use nanoparticles in sun care products.