There has been much talk recently of the "special relationship" between the U.K. and the U.S. with the state visit of President and Mrs. Obama to London and the huge U.S. interest in the royal wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
CEW, too, was celebrating its transatlantic links on May 20 with the presentation of the 2011 Beauty Awards, held first in London and then later in the same day in New York.
Following a champagne reception and a chance to view the finalist’s product displays at the Intercontinental Hotel, London, approximately 350 attendees were welcomed by CEW UK president Caroline Neville. She introduced a video message from Carlotta Jacobson, her counterpart in the U.S. Several brands were finalists in both the U.K. and U.S. awards, although in the end, only Chanel’s Bleu de Chanel men's fragrance was a winner on both sides of the Atlantic.
The awards were due to have national consumer media coverage, including on QVC and in You and Easy Living magazines, and a check for £25,000 from CEW UK was presented to the Eve Appeal, which is this charity helps women with gynecological cancers and which has been supported previously by CEW UK.
After lunch, Marigay McKee, head of beauty at Harrods, oversaw the ceremony, and special guest presenters, actress Joanna Page (the new face of Superdrug stores) and radio personality/model Lisa Snowdon, helped present awards along with representatives from sponsoring companies.
- Best New Bath & Body Product—The Sanctuary Ultra Rich Body Butter
- Best New Haircare/Styling/Colouring Product— Batiste Dry Shampoo Fresh
- Best New Everyday Facial Skincare Product— Dr Organic Rose Otto Facial Serum
- Best New Skincare Treatment Product— Lanolips 101 Ointment
- Best New Makeup Product— Rapidlash Eyelash Enhancing Serum
- Best Classic Beauty Product— Bio-oil
- Best New Men’s Grooming Product— Nivea for Men Q10 Revitalising Gel
- Best New Brand Joint winners— Lanolips/Dr Organic
- Best New Bath and Body Product— Balance Me Rose Otto Body Wash
- Best New Haircare/Styling Product— Liz Earle Naturally Active Haircare Botanical Shine Shampoo
- Best New Everyday Facial Skincare Product— Clarins Multi-active Day Early Wrinkle Correction Cream
- Best New Skincare Treatment Product— Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Synchronised Complex
- Best New Makeup Product –Face Nars Cosmetics Orgasm Illuminator
- Best New Makeup Product – Eyes or Lips Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Crème Lip Colour Beset Classic Beauty Product Eve Lom Cleanser
- Best New Women’s Fragrance— Chloé Love Chloé
- Best New Men’s Fragrance— Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDT
- Best New Men’s Grooming Product— Shisheido For Men Skin Empowering Cream
- Best New Brand— Emma Hardie Amazing Face
Mass or Prestige
- Best New Certified Organic Skincare Product— Balance Me Super Oil with Juniper and Bergamot
- Best New Self Tan or Sun Care Product— Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Sun Defense for Face PF 50
- Best New Hand and Nail Care Product— All for Eve Swarovski Crystal Nail File
- Best British Brand— Liz Earle Naturally Active Skin Care
- Best Iconic Beauty Product— Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant
In addition, all the finalists were eligible for a drawing worth £50,000 of radio advertising with Global Radio’s London stations. Snowdon, who also drew several wonderful prizes in aid of the Eve Appeal, drew Elemental Herbology as the winner.
The ballot was independently reviewed by Ernst and Young, hosted by NSM Research and Categories defined by NPD Group. Event sponsors included Title Sponsor, Superdrug and supporting sponsors, Easy Living magazine, Global Radio, HSBC bank, The London Clinic, Lalique, You magazine, Creative Concepts Ltd, Epic Print, Esprit magazine, Bluedog Productions, Dew Gibbons, Moet & Chandon and WDF.
More details and a full list of finalists is available at www.cewuk.org.