Refinery29’s annual Beauty Innovator Awards were held earlier this month and the winners have been announced. With 25 different categories including Best Under $25 Skin Buy, Best Makeup Artist, Best Red Lipstick, Best Social Media Star and Beauty Innovator, nearly all aspects of the beauty industry were covered and honored.
According to the Refinery29 website, 100-plus hair, skin, makeup and nail offerings were received to lacquer on and select what product deserved to come out on top in each category.
Trends That Stood Out
- Lipstick: judges opted for matte and opaque lip shades to round out the final nominees thus proving that lusterless tones are anything but lackluster.
- Eyeshadow: whether eyeshadows are applied as a cream and dry like a powder or users can combine both textures into one, judges were keen on getting the best of both worlds when it came to the cream/powder combination contenders.
- Moisturizers: judges took to these moisturizers like ducks to water, or in this case water gel. Water-gel/soft serum formulas made up three out of the five nominees in this category.
- Perfume: gender neutral scents, Chanel Boy and CK2, rounded out the finalist verifying that gender bending scents smell twice as nice.
- Social media: in the age where YouTube beauty guru tutorials and makeup artists’ captivating Instagram accounts reign supreme, it was a duo of beauty editors’ podcast, Fat Mascara, which took home the title “Social Media Supernova.”
The Beauty Innovators
- Winner: Pat McGrath, makeup artist and founder of Pat McGrath Labs
- Laura and John Nelson: SEED Beauty founders (ColourPop and Kylie Cosmetics)
- Asmau Ahmed: founder and CEO of makeup app, Plum Perfect
- Jen Atkin: hairstylist and founder of Ouai