Following its July 2020 launch, Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty has now launched in all stores and on ulta.com to simplify the selection of beauty products that offer clean formulas, sustainable packaging, ethical business practices and more. As part of the program, Ulta has introduced a Made Without List and partnered with clean beauty expert Credo. Ulta will begin providing in-store and online Conscious Beauty guidance in 2021.
Featured brands in the program include Tula, Beekman 1802, Pacifica, Juice Beauty, KVD Vegan Beauty, Fekkai, Tarte, Mad Hippie, Kreyol Essence and Ulta Beauty Collection.
Ulta Beauty's Conscious Beauty Advisory Council, includes leaders in clean beauty and sustainability. The initial cohort includes:
- Karen Behnke, founder and CEO, Juice Beauty
- Brook Harvey-Taylor, founder and CEO, Pacifica
- Annie Jackson, co-founder and COO, Credo Beauty
- Maureen Kelly, founder and CEO, Tarte
- Dr. Roshini Raj, founder, Tula
- Dr. Brent Ridge, co-founder, Beekman 1802
- Scott Schienvar, vice president of operations, L'Oréal
- Tom Szaky, CEO and co-founder, TerraCycle
Ulta Beauty has released its qualifications for each element of "conscious" designations and, to support "clean" designations, has introduced its Made Without List, "which was developed with consideration for the human and environmental health impact of ingredients," per Ulta.
The pillars are:
- Clean ingredients: Excludes parabens, phthalates, and other ingredients on Ulta Beauty’s Made Without List.
- Cruelty-free: Accepts Peta, Leaping Bunny or Choose Cruelty Free certifications for brands that do not conduct animal testing.
- Vegan: Created without animal products, by-products or derivatives.
- Sustainable packaging: To qualify, at least 50% of a brand’s packaging must be made from bio-sourced or recycled materials, or be recyclable or refillable, contributing toward Ulta Beauty’s pledge to ensure at least 50% of all packaging sold will be sustainable by 2025.
- Positive impact: Highlights brands that have giving back at their core.
Ulta Beauty and Credo Beauty have collaborated on the launch of Conscious Beauty and a clean beauty collection comprising nine bestselling clean beauty brands, including EleVen by Venus Williams x Credo SPF, Exa, Axiology, Han Skincare Cosmetics, Josh Rosebrook, PYT Beauty, Rituel De Fille, Innersense Organic Beauty and One Love Organics. The collection will be offered at 100 Ulta Beauty stores and on ulta.com this fall.
“As a trailblazer in ingredient authenticity and transparency, Credo Beauty is the perfect partner for us as we continue to evolve our clean beauty offerings for guests,” said Monica Arnaudo, chief merchandising officer, Ulta Beauty. “We know ninety percent of Gen Z shoppers intend to buy clean beauty products in the next year; this first effort together, a clean collection handpicked by the experts at Credo, offers amazing products and more beautiful, clean possibilities for their needs.”
“We partner with brands driven by innovation, clean beauty and transparency on our mission to change the industry together,” said Annie Jackson, co-founder and COO, Credo Beauty. “Bringing this collection to life with Ulta Beauty helps us share the highest standards in clean beauty with an expanded audience of enthusiasts. We are thrilled to share our knowledge and relationships to create platforms together for new, sustainable beauty brands to grow.”
According to Ulta Beauty, 75% of consumers want it to be easier to identify "truly clean" products, while 63% of those consumers prioritize more sustainable choices.
“The introduction of Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty reflects the incredible value we place on listening to our guests," said Dave Kimbell, president of Ulta Beauty. "We consistently work to answer their evolving desires and with this holistic effort, we’re aligning beauty choices with their personal values. The nationwide launch of this platform delivers a unique and holistic way to empower guests on their respective wellbeing and consciousness journeys.”