Influencer marketing is a critical component of many beauty brands' marketing strategies; however, algorithm changes are causing some influencers to do dishonest things—fake followers, fake engagement, inauthentic partnerships—in order to stay relevant. And consumers are taking notice.
Tribe Dynamics has announced the top cosmetic, skin and hair care brands with the highest earned media value (EMV)— a "metric that quantifies the estimated value of publicity gained through digital earned media and their respective engagement levels"—for July 2018. One trend that stood out was the significant drop in YoY EMV for many of the top brands, specifically those in the cosmetics sector. As the beauty industry transitions into a new era of transparency, deceitful practices in marketing may be causing more obvious harm than good.
Tribe's Top 10 Cosmetic Brands
- Anastasia Beverly Hills decreased by 39% YoY, from $126 million to $76.3 million;
- MAC decreased by 40% YoY, from $84.7 million to $50.8 million;
- Huda Beauty increased by 20% YoY, from $40.7 million to $49 million;
- Benefit decreased by 8% YoY, from $48.6 million to $44.6 million;
- Morphe decreased by 24% YoY, from $57.6 million to $43.9 million;
- Too Faced increased by 10% YoY, from $39. 6 million to $43.5 million;
- Urban Decay decreased by 2% YoY, from $40.3 million to $39.5 million;
- NYX Professional Makeup decreased by 39% YoY, from $60 million to $36.5 million;
- Tarte decreased by 37% YoY, from $56.8 million to $35.8 million; and
- Fenty Beauty increased by 26,049% YoY, from $107,261 to $28 million.
Tribe's Top 10 Skin Care Brands
- Tatcha increased by 88% YoY, from $3 million to $5.7 million;
- Glamglow increased by 2% YoY, from $3.72 million to $3.78 million;
- Loving Tan decreased by 17% YoY, from $3.8 million to $3.2 million;
- Kiehl's decreased by 3% YoY, from $3.3 million to $3.2 million;
- Lush decreased by 8% YoY, from $3.1 million to $2.9 million;
- Drunk Elephant increased by 209% YoY, from $781,077 to $2.4 million;
- Dr. Brandt Skincare increased by 289% YoY, from $587,168 to $2.3 million;
- Fresh increased by 10% YoY, from $2.06 million to $2.3 million;
- Olay increased by 65% YoY, from $1.3 million to $2.2 million; and
- Clinique increased by 6% YoY, from $1.99 million to $2.1 million.
Tribe's Top 10 Hair Care
- Brazilian Bond Builder saw a 0% increase YoY and remained at $5.6 million;
- Olaplex increased by 4% YoY, from $5.2 million to $5.4 million;
- Redken increased by 10% YoY, from $4.6 million to $5 million;
- Matrix increased by 225% YoY, from $1.3 million to $4.3 million;
- Pulp Riot decreased by 26% YoY, from $4.5 million to $3.3 million;
- Schwarzkopf Professional increased by 88% YoY, from $1.6 million to $3 million;
- L'Oréal Paris decreased by 50% YoY, from $5.8 million to $2.9 million;
- Arctic Fox Hair Color increased by 25% YoY, from $2.2 million to $2.8 million;
- L'Oréal Professionnel increased by 87% YoY, from $1.4 million to $2.7 million; and
- Ouai increased by 28% YoY, from $1.96 million to $2.5 million.