More than 80% of consumers describe ingredient transparency as "important" or "very important," according to research from BBMG, GlobeScan and SustainAbility.
MyChelle Dermaceuticals has responded by partnering with EWG Verified, which sets specific standards for ingredient safety and communication.
It's unsurprising that EWG's standards are highly critical of conventional personal care products, noting, "In 2015, over 80% of all sunscreens analyzed by the EWG contained harmful ingredients."
Further reading: Scrub Away Dead Skin
The EWG criteria are listed below:
- Products must score a "green" in EWG's Skin Deep database.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Unacceptable" list, meaning ingredients with health, ecotoxicity and/or contamination concerns.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Restricted" list, which do not meet the restriction set by authoritative bodies and industry institutions.
- Products must follow standard ingredient naming guidelines.
- Products must fully disclose all ingredients on the label, including ingredients used in fragrance.
- Product manufacturers must develop and follow current good manufacturing practices.
- Products must follow the European Union's requirements for labeling fragrance allergens.
- Products must follow the European Union's labeling guidelines for nanomaterials used in cosmetics.
- Product labels must indicate an expiration date or a "period of time after opening."
MyChelle has certified 15 products as EWG Verified, which will feature the official EWG Verified: For Your Health mark, including:
- Clear Skin Cranberry Cleanser
- Fruit Enzyme Cleanser
- Fruit Enzyme Scrub
- Fruit Fiesta Peel
- G2 Instant Firming Serum
- Gentle Day Cream
- Incredible Pumpkin Peel
- Magnolia Fresh Eyes
- Oil Free Grapefruit Lotion
- Perfect C Serum
- Refining Sugar Cleanser
- Remarkable Retinal Eye Cream
- Remarkable Retinal Serum
- Ultra Hyaluronic Hydrating Serum
- Wrinkle Spot Treatment