While the influence of the behemoth Millennial Generation shows no sign of slowing down, another generation is waiting in the wings and proving to be just as influential: iGens.
According to a recent Mintel webinar, "Generation Indie: Younger Consumers' Influence on Niche Beauty Brands," iGens, or Generation Z, is the generation born between 1995 and 2007. iGens currently make up 17% of the U.S. population and are expected to hold more economic influence by 2022.
Get to Know iGen Consumers
- 33% of U.S. iGens plan to travel to other countries by the age of 25, indicating an interest in other cultures
- 69% agree that increasing diversity in the U.S is good
- 56% prefer ads that are entertaining without feeling like an ad
- 38% are drawn to social posts with artistic flair
- 28% look for instructional or how-to posts
- 60% report only using emojis to communicate
- 35% say they can't live without YouTube
- 56% use beauty and personal care products to feel empowered, seeing usage as a way to express themselves and feel more confident