In 2017, a whopping 1.5 billion people engaged with beauty brands via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
According to Shareablee, a company specializing in social media data and intelligence, Kylie Cosmetics came out on top with almost 250 million total actions. Anastasia Beverly Hills and MAC Cosmetics rounded out the top three in total actions with 200 million and 100 million actions respectively.
Shareablee also found:
- Luxury brands are most popular across all social media platforms, led by Kylie Cosmetics. The top-performing beauty brand by total actions was Maybelline New York, followed by ColourPop and NYX Professional Makeup.
- No mass beauty brand reached 100 million total actions, however, mass beauty brands saw a growth rate of 9% while luxury brands saw a growth rate of only 2%.
- In terms of social actions, makeup is the most popular beauty product.
- The top 10 beauty brands produced only 12% of all beauty content, but accounted for 68% of all actions.
- Beauty has outpaced the average brand in the U.S. in consumer engagement 5.5 times since the start of 2016.
- Video content for beauty brands on Facebook grew 72% and 70% on Instagram. YouTube views for beauty brands reached close to 525 million views.