The North American market for natural and organic personal care products is projected to reach $5.6 billion by the end of 2018, according to a new market analysis from Ecovia Intelligence.
- Natural and organic products now comprise more than 6% of personal care product sales in North America
- Nearly half of all revenues come from skin care
- Hair care is the second largest category, followed by color cosmetics
- Skin care and color cosmetics report the highest growth
- Certified products represent roughly 10% of natural and organic personal care product sales; NPA and NSF ANSI 305 are the most popular standards, while the Non-GMO project Verified label is the fastest growing
- Among the trends: product segmentation, such as brands for specific consumer groups; ethical sourcing of raw materials; and a shift from green formulations to wider sustainability issues, like utilizing renewable energy and sustainable packaging